Saturday, July 14, 2012

Cover Comparison: Jackson Pearce Edition

Time for another installment of Cover Comparisons! This week is yet another series redesign post. I've been on a sort of series redesign kick lately. I hope you guys don't mind. :P

Today we're looking at the different covers for Jackson Pearce's Fairytale Retellings series. This redesign happened with the release of the cover for Fathomless. Let's check out the two different sets of covers.

                                                               Original Covers

                                                                    New Covers

Original Covers: I think the look of these covers is great. The art is gorgeous and it fits the stories perfectly. Whoever designed these is genius. On top of that I just love that these covers really stand out. I feel like more publishers need to go the art route instead of always having to use stock photos like most YA covers these days.

New Covers: I honestly don't have much of an opinion on these covers. I don't like them, but I don't dislike them either. They're just so boring and sterotypical YA to me. Sisters Red is the only one I find mildly intriguing because it's got the axe and red/black color scheme going on which is giving it a cool creepy vibe. Sweetly and Fathomless are both just meh to me. It would have been nice to see what kind of art they could have come up with for Fathomless since it's a retelling of The Little Mermaid and all. That would have been cool. Oh well.

So who wins? I definitely prefer the original covers. I just love the art and I feel like it captures the magical fairytale nature of the stories while also being hip and modern. Of course the art style isn't for everyone so I can see why they decided to redesign the covers with a more classic YA look. I just wish they could have been a bit more original.

Which set of covers for Jackson Pearce's Fairytale Retelling's series is YOUR favorite? Be sure to vote in the poll below and sound off in the comments about why you made your decision!



Have any suggestions for future cover comparisons? Leave them in this form!

Julia :)

2 comments:

  1. Pardon me while I explode with RAGE and DISAPPOINTMENT. The originals are seriously two of my very favorite covers of ALL TIME. They are so gorgeous, dark, creepy and perfect for Pearce's books.

    I do agree that had they been released with the new covers originally, I would have been like meh. BUT after having seen the originals, my reaction is WTF. I would definitely not have been as interested in Sisters Red without the original cover.

    My theory: they couldn't come up with a hidden face for the last book so they gave up. Creativity fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. why do cover changes keep happening mid series, WHY?!?
    It just makes me want to wait until a series is over before buying anything!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...