Friday, September 2, 2011

Book Review: Uncommon Criminals


Katarina Bishop has worn a lot of labels in her short life: Friend. Niece. Daughter. Thief. But for the last two months she's simply been known as the girl who ran the crew that robbed the greatest museum in the world. That's why Kat isn't suprised when she's asked to steal the infamous Cleopatra Emerald so it can be returned to its rightful owners.

There are only three problems. first, the gem hasn't been seen in the public in thirty years. Second, since the fall of the Egyptian empire and the suicide of Cleopatra, no one who holds the emerald keeps it for long - and in Kat's world, history almost always repeats itself. But it's the third problem that makes Kat's crew the most nervous, and that is... the emerald is cursed.

Kat might be in way over her head, but she's not going down without a fight. After all she has her best friend - the gorgeous Hale - and the rest of her crew with her as they chase the Cleopatra around the globe, dodging curses and realizing that the same tricks and cons her family has used for centuries are useless this time.

Which means, this time, Katarina Bishop is making up her own rules.


In a Nutshell: Uncommon Criminals is a solid sequel to The Heist Society that will satisfy fans with its multiple plot twists and fast-paced action.

Putdownability Factor: Non-existant. I rarely read in the car (I get motion sick really easily. :P) but I did read this. I just couldn't put it down.

Cover Love: I'm going to be honest here and say that I really don't like this cover. It just screams cheesy. I mean the sunglasses and the pearl necklace?! *sigh*

My Thoughts

You guys may or may not have read about my little conundrum involving Uncommon Criminals and the Library. Well, despite this problem I was finally able to get my hands on a copy and it was totally worth the wait! Ally Carter you are a freaking genius. Not only did I devour Uncommon Criminals but it was, dare I say it, better, than The Heist Society. And I LOVED the Heist Society. In Uncommon Criminals Ally Carter has preserved the perfect blend of girl power, edge of your seat moments, and Hale (will you marry me?), all while deepening the characters and creating a story that basically kicks butt.

Katarina Bishop is just as awesome as she was in The Heist Society. She's smart, feisty, and full of determination, never taking no for an answer or letting something get the better of her. As for her (romantic?) counterpart Hale, he is just as perfect as ever. There are some fictional guys that are great and then there are some that are just fan-freaking-tastic. Hale would be the latter. I don't know how Ally Carter does it but she really knows how to write a guy that could make any girl swoon.

Other than Kat's general awesomeness and Hale's fictional hottness (I can't believe I just typed that... >.<) one of the biggest highlights of Uncommon Criminals for me was the character development. Some authors who write adventure type novels let character development take a back seat but not Ally Carter! Kat in particular grew tremendously as a character and I LOVED it.

Uncommon Criminals (like the Heist Society) reads like one of the Oceans movies. Its high stakes robbery at its finest. Disguises? Check. Forgery? Check. Breaking and entering? Check. Basically this book is awesome. But be forewarned: there are a huge amount of plot twists. Pay close attention, or you might end up getting conned yourself. :)

Uncommon Criminals gets 5 out of 5 ice cream cones!


Who would I recommend this book to? Fans of Ally Carter, the Oceans movies, or just someone looking for a great read will love this book.


Julia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...