Friday, October 28, 2011

Book Review: Forgotten

Forgotten
by Cat Patrick
288 pages
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: June 7, 2011
Source: My Bookshelf
Ever night, while sixteen-year-old London Lane is asleep, her memory of that day is erased. In the morning, all she can "remember" are events from her future. London is used to relying on reminder notes and a trusted friend to get through the day, but things get complicated when a new boy at school enters the picture. Luke Henry is not someone you'd easily forget, yet try as she might, London can't find him in her memories of things to come.

When London starts experiencing disturbing flashbacks, or flash-forwards, as the case may be, she realizes it's time to learn about the past she keeps forgetting - before it destroys her future.

Forgotten is a book that (I apologize for the cliche) won't soon be forgotten. To me it was like a mixture of 50 First Dates, The Notebook, and a fascinating psychological thriller. In short: It was awesome. I read Forgotten over a week ago and I still can't get the story or characters out of my mind. It was that good.

London Lane is a girl who can't remember the past, only the future. But even so she only remembers the future the same way we remember the past; small bits and pieces that were really memorable. At first I had a hard time figuring out exactly what London's condition entailed. What exactly did the reminder notes mean? How much could London actually "remember" about the future? Was she born with her strange memory or did it just start happening one day? Stuff like that. Eventually it all became clear (sort of..) but I do think that there could have been a bit more time explaining London's condition.

Normally I'm not really the romance type but when its done right I can dig it as much as the next girl. Forgotten is the perfect example of romance done right: Sweet without being overly sappy. The way Cat Patrick had the relationship between London and Luke develop was an aspect to this story that I really loved. Plus they went on some of the cutest dates EVER! I want some guy to take me on a car date where we watch movies in the trunk and stargaze out of the moonroof! I just need to find a boyfriend and get a car with a moonroof first..... >.<

Along with the romance Forgotten also has a lot of intrigue and this is what really kept me hooked. Cat Patrick uses a series of flashbacks (or flash forwards?) to create some really great plot tension. The only gripe I have is that the ending felt unfinished. A lot of the mysteries in the story weren't solved until the last 2/3rds (if not 3/4ths) of the book and then the book was just over. I wanted more closure. I'm hoping Cat Patrick might write a sequel but I don't think she's planning on it. :/

Overall Forgotten is a fantastic read. Its got a great romance to pull in the contemporary readers but it also has just enough psychological intrigue to keep someone like me hooked! I give it 5 out of 5 ice cream cones.



Also you might want to take the time to watch Forgotten's book trailer. If I haven't convinced you to read this book, the book trailer most certainly will.





And lastly they might be turning Forgotten into a movie with Hailee Steinfeld starring as London Lane! Anyone have any thoughts on this casting? Personally I think Hailee is a great choice. She's such a cute little actress. Now we've just got to find a guy to play Luke Henry.....

Julia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...