Friday, August 17, 2012

Book Review: A Million Suns

A Million Suns
by Beth Revis
386 pages
Publisher: Razorbill
Publication Date: January 10th 2012
Source: Library
Add this book to your shelf on Goodreads
But there may be hope: Elder has assumed leadership of the ship. He's finally free to act on his vision - no more Phydus, no more lies. 

But when elder learns shocking news about the ship, he and Amy race to discover the truth behind life on Godspeed. They must work together to unlock a mystery that was set in motion hundreds of years earlier; Their success - or failure - will determine the fate of the 2,298 passengers aboard Godspeed. But with each step, the journey becomes more perilous the ship more chaotic, and the love between them impossible to fight.
If you enjoyed Beth Revis' first novel Across the Universe then you will LOVE A Million Suns. This sequel is as good as ATU if not better. It's got the same awesome mystery and science fiction aspects all while doing even more world building and delving further into who the characters are. ME LIKE YA'LL, ME LIKE! :D

In A Million Suns there's a whole new mystery to unravel, and a whole new set of obstacles to overcome. As engaging as A Million Suns was I didn't find myself breezing through it as fast as I sometimes do with other books. However I found this to be a good thing. Sometimes if a book is too much of a page turner I end up rushing through it so quickly that I miss important details. Does this happen to anyone else? :P Anyway, A Million Suns was great, and totally engaging, but I loved that I could linger through it without feeling like I was rushing to figure out the ending.

The mystery aspect of A Million Suns was similar to Across the Universe but it's format was very different. In A Million Suns the characters are following a string of clues that ultimately leads to this big mind blowing reveal. Believe me when I say this is mind blowing because it is MIND BLOWING. T The  reveal is so insanely crazy that the outcome of the series suddenly starts heading down a drastic new path, WHICH IS AWESOME! Before reading A Million Suns I didn't really know where Beth Revis was gonna take the story, but now it all makes sense! Even the new set of book covers make sense though I still prefer the old ones. That being said, CAN I HAVE THE THIRD BOOK ALREADY?!?! :P

Other than the mystery aspect which was just amazing I also loved where Beth Revis went with the characters. Elder and Amy really came into their own in this novel and a lot of minor characters were developed well too. However I did feel like their separate narratives weren't as effective as they were in Across the Universe. I just found myself having a hard time telling the difference between Amy and Elder chapters because they're voices weren't very distinct. That was a bummer but overall it didn't detract enough from the novel to be a huge problem.

After reading Across the Universe and A Million Suns I have come to several conclusions about Beth Revis. She can write a damn good mystery, her sci-fi is impressive and did I mention her writing is absolutely beautiful? Yep, she's got it all. That's what I love so much about reading a Beth Revis novel. There isn't just one thing about them that's awesome: EVERYTHING about them is awesome!

A Million Suns gets 5 out of 5 ice cream cones!



Julia :)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...