Saturday, February 16, 2013

Cover Comparisons: Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past week, you've probably heard about (and already seen) the new cover for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Illustrator Kazu Kibuishi was asked to give the series a makeover in honor of the 15th anniversary of it's publication and the first new cover has just been revealed. Unfortunately, we won't get to see the rest till September when all the new covers are released in a special box set. I don't know about you guys, but I am DYING to see all of the new covers! I love the old ones to death (they're so iconic and perfect for the series) but it's always fun to see new covers. I'll obviously be doing a comparison of the full series when all the new covers are released, but for now let's just look at the covers for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone!

                                New Cover                                                           Original Cover

Original Cover: Like I said earlier, this cover is iconic. All of the original HP covers are iconic. They have the perfect Harry Potter font, and I don't think anything captures the magic of Harry Potter quite like the illustrations of Mary Grandpre. This cover has a sort of timelessness to it that never goes out of style. However, I do have to admit that when I was a kid I thought that the snitch on the cover was actually the sorcerer's stone. But hey, I wasn't allowed to read Harry Potter back then so I didn't known any better! :P

New Cover: What I love about this new cover is that Kazu Kibuishi made sure to stick with the same timeless fantasy vibe that the original cover possesses. I also loved that they kept the same muted color scheme and soft lines. I honestly would love to have this cover, and the original on my shelf. They're both gorgeous and perfect in my opinion.

So who wins? For me it's a definite tie. I just can't pick a winner because both covers have gorgeous art and they both fit perfectly into the world of Harry Potter. This is why I cannot wait for the rest of the new covers to be released! If they're anywhere near as wonderful as this one, it's gonna be damn hard for me not to go out and buy a second set of these books immediately. THINK RATIONALLY JULIA, THINK RATIONALLY! :P

So which cover of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is YOUR favorite? Be sure to vote in the poll below, and sound off in the comments about why you made your decision!


Have any suggestions for future cover comparisons? Leave them in this form.

Julia :)

7 comments:

  1. I love the new one. You make excellent points. It does have the same vibe and muter colors.

    I think I prefer the new one because it tells more of a story. It lures in the person that doesn't know the story.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both covers; I can never decide :) ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like both of the covers, but the new one beats the old one just by a margin. I just think that the new one really introduces a reader to the world of Harry Potter. But you are right, the old ones are iconic... It's too hard to choose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes, I agree it's going to be really hard not to go out and by a second set! I'm with you, it's a tie! They both capture that magical feeling of the books! Love that they changed up the covers to get the new younger generation to check them out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Obviously, there's some heavy nostalgia going on with the first version. <3 However, I am really pleased with the new artwork! Can't wait to see more. Might be worth buying a new set.

    ~ Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree! It's an iconic cover vs. a pretty new cover so it's tough. I would like to see them redo the UK/Canadian covers, as well. But no, as tempting as it is, I cannot justify buying an entirely new set of books (though I REALLY wanted to with those special white editions they did).

    ReplyDelete
  7. While I don't have a problem with the new covers artistically, they remind me a little too much of fantasy books already out there, such as those by Eva Ibbotson, Dianne Wynne Jones, etc. In other words, skewing towards a younger audience, which, well, whatever, sure, young readers can read Harry Potter, but so can OLD READERS LIKE ME.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...