Saturday, May 11, 2013

Cover Comparisons: The Forest of Hands and Teeth Series

A little over a week ago, Carrie Ryan debuted the new paperback cover for her novel The Forest of Hands and Teeth. Seeing this prompted me to immediately head to Google to see if there were any other alternate covers for this series, and guess what, there are. I HAVE STRUCK COVER COMPARISON GOLD HERE GUYS. Just check out the two awesome sets of covers for this series from both the US and UK!

US Covers

 UK Covers

US Covers: While I am not really a big fan of the Forest of Hands and Teeth series, I have always loved their covers. I feel like the definitely invoke a sort of otherworldly horror just like the stories themselves and there's something both beautiful and unsettling about them. In fact, a good part of the reason I actually read this entire series was because I liked the covers so much. 

UK Covers: Oh my. These UK covers are absolutely freaking gorgeous. I love their symbolism and simplicity and there aren't any cover models which is always a plus! To quote my mother "Why are those foreign covers so much cooler than ours?" Good question mom. GOOD QUESTION.

So who wins? Honestly, I'm pretty torn about this one. I love the original covers because I feel like they capture the essence of the stories so well, but I also love the UK covers because of how beautiful and aesthetically pleasing they are. I guess if I had to choose which set I'd want on my shelf, I'd probably pick the UK set.

Which set of covers for The Forest of Hands and Teeth Trilogy do YOU like best? Be sure to vote in the poll below and sound off in the comments about why you made your decision!



Oh and remember how I said at the beginning of this post that there's a new paperback cover just for The Forest of Hands and Teeth? Here it is:


I definitely think it's interesting that the designers went the "gritty post-apocalyptic" route for the new cover, especially since the book isn't terribly edgy to begin with. It's certainly on the more benign side when it comes to zombie novels, and I always felt like it was really just a romance with post-apocalyptic elements, but whatevs. Maybe it will bring in a new crowd of readers who can enjoy the story.

Have any suggestions for future cover comparisons? Leave them in this form.

Julia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...