Saturday, May 4, 2013

Cover Comparisons: Stephanie Perkins Edition

I'm in the minority, but I'm not a huge Stephanie Perkins fan. I've read one of her books (Lola and the Boy Next Door) and it just didn't click with me. That being said, I've always liked the covers for Stephanie's books. Well, surprise, surprise, the peeps down at Dutton books disagreed and decided to give all of Stephanie Perkin's books cover makeovers. When I heard this I feared the worst: KISSING COVERS. Well, good news for everyone, that is not the case! Let's go ahead and take a new look at both the new and old cover designs.

Old Covers

 New Covers

Old Covers: There's nothing particularly great about these covers, but there's certainly nothing wrong with them either. I always thought they were all right in that fluffy rom com type of way. I know a lot of people tend to take issue with the character's faces being directly on the covers because then they can't imagine them for themselves as easily, but I've never really minded all that much. I guess the one complaint I would have is that these covers do look rather juvenile.

New Covers: Okay so I didn't really like them at first, but now that I'm really looking at the new covers I have totally fallen in love with them. The monochromatic color schemes are GORGEOUS and I love that they're so simple and sophisticated yet symbolic. Minimalism at it's finest. Well done Dutton designers! Oh and while we're looking at the new redesigns, let's check out the cover for Stephanie's upcoming novel:


Yep, I am definitely on board with this new cover scheme. 

So who wins? For me the clear winners are the new covers. They're absolutely gorgeous, eye-catching and are not nearly as juvenile as the original covers. I'm almost tempted to buy these books now simply because the new covers are so flippin' beautiful. I hope more YA book cover designers take a lesson from these and go the simple and sophisticated route with future covers. 

Which set of covers do YOU like best? Be sure to vote in the poll below and sound off in the comments about why you made your decision!




Have a suggestion for future cover comparisons? Leave it in this form!

 Julia :)

2 comments:

  1. I actually quite hated the old covers- I thought that they were simply too embarrassing. I've only read Anna and the French Kiss (which is fantastic, IMHO), but I had to put a book cover on it to read it, because of that cover. =P So I really am liking the new covers! I agree with the fact that this is simplicity at its finest. The color schemes are really gorgeous. <3

    Lovely post, Julia! =)

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah the old covers were definitely solidly in the "slightly embarrassing juvenile YA" category. That's too funny that you had to put a book cover on Anna so you could read it in public. XD

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...