Thursday, February 2, 2012

Book Review: Don't Breathe A Word

Don't Breathe a Word
by Holly Cupala
299 pages
Publisher: HarpeerTeen
Publication Date: January 3, 2012
Source: Teen Book Scene book tour
Add this book to your shelf on Goodreads!
Joy Delamere is suffocating...

From asthma, which has nearly claimed her life. From her parents, who will do anything to keep that from happening. From delectably dangerous Asher, who is smothering her from the inside out.

Joy can take his words - tender words, cruel words - until the night they go too far.

Now, Joy will leave everything behind to find the one who has offered his help, a homeless boy called Creed. She will become someone else. She will learn to survive. She will breathe... if only she can get to Creed before it’s too late.

In a Nutshell: Don't Breathe a Word is a beautiful novel that doesn't back down, even when it comes to tough issues like abuse, and life on the streets.

Putdownability Factor: This book was SO GOOD. And once you got past the halfway point? Yeah, almost impossible to put down.

Cover Love: Gorgeous. It feels very ethereal and doesn't quite match with what the story is actually about but the cover is too awesome for that to really matter.


My Thoughts

After reading Tell Me a Secret I just knew that Holly Cupala was going to become one of my favorite authors. Don't Breathe a Word totally cemented that fact and it further proved the fact that Holly Cupala can write "issue" books like nobodies business! Seriously, I am such a fan. :P

The thing I love most about Don't Breathe a Word is that it is so honest. Abuse and homelessness are both really difficult subjects to tackle but Holly Cupala does it beautifully. She paints a portrait of friends, family, loyalty, forgiveness, and healing that is truly moving. There were countless moments when my heart would just break for the characters. It was raw, and real, and I loved every minute of it.

Joy, Creed, Santos, May, I just loved each and every one of them. I felt a real connection with each character, and what they were struggling with. The character development was some of the best I've ever read.

Don't Breathe a Word has definitely caused me to change my attitude toward homeless teenagers. I have a lot more compassion and understanding for what they're going through. This book taught me that you can't just judge people by their circumstances. You never know what kinds of demons they might be running from.

Overall I give Don't Breathe a Word 4 and a half out of 5 ice cream cones.


Who would I recommend this to? Older/more mature teens who enjoy books with edgier topics. Anyone who enjoys Ellen Hopkins would enjoy this book.

Julia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...