Thursday, February 23, 2012

Book Review: Legend

Legend
by Marie Lu 
305 pages
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Publication Date: November 29th 2011
Source: Library

Once known as the western coast of the United States, the Republic is now a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors, the Colonies.

Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a military prodigy. Obedient, passionate, and committed to her country, she is being groomed for success in the Republic's highest circles.

Born into the slums of the Republic's Lake Sector, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered, and Day becomes the prime suspect. Now, caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June tries desperately to avenge Metias's death.

But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together and the sinister lengths to which their country will go to keep it's secret.

Wow. Just wow. Are you looking for an awesome dystopian novel? Then look no further than Legend. Marie Lu, you have garnered yourself a fan in me because I just loved your book! IT IS FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!

Legend tells the story of two very different character's from two very different worlds. June is a military genius who also happens to be from a very privileged family living in a very privileged district. Day on the other hand is a genius of another kind: a criminal genius, who grew up in the slums. He may be poor, but he's also the country's most wanted. And then one fated day June and Days world's collide and nothing will ever be the same again.

Sound awesome? Oh it is. Legend is told in the alternating perspectives of Day and June and Marie Lu does it to perfection. Both character's had unique and distinct voices and I had no trouble following along with their narratives. Day was a wonderfully cocky criminal but he also had a bit of a soft streak. Oh and did I mention he's a hapa? Yeah, he's totally awesome. Then there's June who had this total badass military spy vibe going on. I especially liked that even though Day and June were on different sides of the law I found myself rooting for both of them.

Like I said at the beginning of this review Legend is a great dystopian novel. It's chock-full of action and page turning suspense, and there were multiple moments when I was gasping in shock and also a few "OH MY GOSH THAT DID NOT JUST HAPPEN" moments. Marie Lu also did a great job at creating a dystopic Los Angeles: One of military prowess and tyrannical rule. It's creepy, totally crazy, and also buyable. In short: The world building was amazing.

Legend is fantastic. I loved everything from the plot to the character's and I can hardly wait for Marie Lu's next installment! I have a feeling this series is going to become one of my favorites.

I give Legend 5 out of 5 cupcakes!


One last fun fact! Marie Lu states in her author bio that she got some of the inspiration for Legend from Les Miserables which is totally AWESOME because not only is the book great but it's also a kickass musical. Pretty cool right?

Julia :)

2 comments:

  1. Yayyyy I'm so excited to read this one, I got it for Christmas and I bet it's going to be AWESOME!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hearing a lot about this book and now I think I really have to get around to reading it :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...