Thursday, January 19, 2012

Book Review: Plague

Plague
by Michael Grant
492 pages
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Publication Date: April 5, 2011
Source: Library
Add Plague to your bookshelf on GoodReads!

They've survived hunger. They've survived lies. But the stakes keep rising, and the dystopian horror keeps building. Yet despite the simmering unrest left behind by so many battles, power struggles, and angry divides, there is a momentary calm in Perdido Beach. But enemies in the FAYZ don't just fade away, and in the quiet, deadly things are stirring, mutating, and finding their way free. The Darkness has found its way into the mind of its Nemesis at last and is controlling it through a haze of delirium and confusion. A highly contagious, fatal, illness spreads at an alarming rate. Sinister, predatory insects terrorize Perdido Beach. And Same, Astrid, Diana, and Caine are plagued by a growing doubt that they'll escape - or even survive - life in the FAYZ. With so much turmoil surrounding them, what desperate choices will they make when it comes to saving themselves and those they love?
I feel like everytime I write a review for one of the books in the Gone series I always end up saying the same things. I'm starting to sound like a broken record. :P Well, who cares because these books definitely deserve some recognition. They are AWESOME and Plague has got to be my favorite in the series yet!

Plague picks up where Lies left off. Perdido Beach is finally peaceful for once, or at least as peaceful as life can be in the FAYZ. But of course, things immediately start going awry. And cue the creepy bug parasites! If you've read the first three books in the Gone series then you are no stranger to the creepy and bizarre world of the FAYZ but believe me you ain't read nothing yet. Remember Drake growing his whip arm? Pshhh forgettable. How about the talking evil coyotes? Meh. Or maybe the ginormous man eating worms from Hunger? Tame. In Plague there's a whole new set of horrors and like I said: They're bug related. If you have a serious bug phobia (or just don't really like creepy crawlies in general) Plague might not be the best book for you to pick up on a free afternoon. Just saying. But even though Plague does have some super creepy elements it still ended up being awesome and if I'm being honest I actually did enjoy the creepiness factor! I guess I'm just strange like that. >.<

Other than creepiness Plague also has action and suspense in spades. From bug parasites to water shortages, a deathly plague to a jailbreak, there's just never a dull moment in the FAYZ. Yet again while reading Plague all I could think was "THIS SERIES SHOULD SO BE A TV SHOW!" Albeit a very dark TV show....

All the character's are back and the same as ever. And by the same I mean awesometastic. I am still in awe of the way Michael Grant is able to juggle so many different character's and their personalities without them getting muddied together. He is brilliant I tell you.

Oh and the ending of Plague? Yeah, it was a cliffhanger. An intense cliffhanger. Can I have the last book Fear yet?

Plague gets 5 out of 5 ice cream cones!


If I haven't yet convinced you to read this book and The Gone Series in general then I have one word for you: Nutella. Yes, this book has Nutella. Can it get anymore awesome? I don't think so.

Julia :)

3 comments:

  1. I've read Gone, and have been meaning to start the second book but haven't gotten around to it. Was also a bit scared it wouldn't be as good, but you've convinced me! Must. Read. Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck yes! I freaking love this series like no other. I just want to hug and squeeze it. I'm glad to find someone else who loves them just as much as me :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series!! But I still have to read Lies... I'm guessing that it gets a lot more intense in that one, too, huh?

    If this series were a TV show, it'd be cool but incredibly intense, and every episode would probably end in a gigantic cliffhanger :D

    Great review! Now I HAVE to read Lies!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...