Saturday, June 2, 2012

Cover Comparison: Summer Lovin' Edition [1]

Since summer is upon us I thought it would be great to feature some summery reads for cover comparisons! Hence: Summer Lovin' Edition! I'll be attempting to do this all summer long but we'll see if I run out of summery books and covers for me to compare. I don't think I will but ya never know. What do you guys think of this idea? Like it? Hate it? Let me know! Anyway, on with the comparison. :D

So this week I was going through my blog reader when I stumbled upon a picture of the UK cover for We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han. It was a total double take moment guys. Seriously I didn't even know this series had alternate covers. Of course once realizing they did I knew that I HAD to do a cover comparison for them especially since summer is basically upon us! So here it is: The cover comparison showdown between the US and UK covers of The Summer Series by Jenny Han!

                                                                  US Covers                                                      

                                                                  UK Covers


US Covers: I love the beachy/summery feel of these covers. The whole white background with pastels color scheme works really well and I think the font choice is perfect. However I do think that the best cover was The Summer I Turned Pretty and that INSWY and WAHS don't work as well. They just feel a bit more blah to me. Maybe it's because they don't have the sun glare like the first one? I don't know. One last thought: Am I the only one who noticed that even though Conrad (the older brother) is supposed to be brunette and Jeremiah (the younger brother) is supposed to be blonde the cover models don't match up age wise? I mean the blonde is clearly older than the brunette so it's like they switched them around. That always bugged me. :P

UK Covers: I love, love, LOVE these covers! I've noticed that UK covers tend to be a bit more stylized than US covers (especially with contemporary novels) and it totally works for this series. The simplicity of the design and colors are just gorgeous. I especially like that they chose different objects for each cover. First flowers, then hearts, and finally horseshoes and wedding bells! I'm not really sure why horseshoes (is there something important I'm forgetting about the series?) but I think it's cool nonetheless. The one thing I don't really care for is the tag lines. They sound like they belong with some super cheesy soap opera or something. Especially the one for It's Not Summer Without You. Can't you just imagine some horrible voiceover saying: "One Girl, Two Brothers, WHICH WILL SHE CHOOSE?!?!" while some terrible overdramatic music plays in the background? Yeah, I'm cringing too. >.<

So Who Wins? This is a tough one because honestly like both sets of covers but I think the UK covers just barely eek out a win. They're artistic and beautiful while still giving off that nice summery vibe. They aren't as beachy as the US covers which is a bummer (especially since the beach is such an important part of the summer series) but oh well. You can't have everything right?

Which set of covers for The Summer Series is YOUR favorite? Be sure to vote in the poll below and sound off in the comments about why you made your decision!


Do you have any suggestions for future cover comparisons? Leave them in this form!

Julia :)

3 comments:

  1. So glad someone decided to do a cover comparison on this series! I prefer the US covers because they're more simplistic and elegant, and I love the whole beach feel to them. They also look more fitting for YA cos the UK covers seem a little childish in my opinion :( I have the UK version of TSITP but I wish I could get my hands on the US ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally prefer the UK covers. Although I do think that the US covers look more grown up, I think the UK covers look more bright, fun and colourful, and, overall, cuter!

    Catherine :)
    The Book Parade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't weigh in on this very well because I haven't read these books (yet), but every time I see the US covers on my library's shelves, I sigh a little over how pretty they are. I just love the soft, dreamy feel they give.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...