Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Book Review: Variant

Variant
by Robison Wells 
373 pages
Publisher: Harper Teen
Publication Date: October 4, 2011
Source: Library 

Benson Fisher thought that a scholarship to Maxfield Academy would be the ticket out of his dead-end life.

He was wrong.

Now he's trapped in a school that's surrounded by a razor-wire fence. A school where video cameras monitor his every move. Where there are no adults. Where the kids have split into groups in order to survive.

Where breaking the rules equals death.

But when Benson stumbles upon the school's real secret, he realizes taht playing by the rules could spell a fate worse than death, and that escape - his only real hope for survival - may be impossible.

Looking for a spell-binding thriller? How about something that will keep you on the edge of your seat till the last page is turned? Or maybe a book with an ending so crazy you'll be dying for the sequel? Well Variant is all that and more!

After reading a lot of positive reviews for Variant (especially this one by from Melissa at i swim for oceans) I was expecting it to be good but gosh darn it Variant wasn't just good it was downright phenomenal! This book is hands down one of my favorites of 2011, if not the favorite.

Variant is one of the most unputdownable books I've read all year. From the non-stop action of paintball wars (yes, you read that right paintball wars!), to gang fights, to the more intriguing elements of escape planning this book is sure to keep you up late at night. To top it off there are some insane plot twists. Robison Wells really threw me for a loop about halfway through the book. I literally got goosebumps while reading. No joke.


Even though Variant relies heavily on a fast-paced plot, it doesn't mean that the characters are any less awesome. A few were a bit one-dimensional (the classic bad boys, and rule followers) but overall I was impressed at the depth of the characters. My personal favorite characters were Lily and Becky and of course Benson was awesome too.

Like The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer Variant has an insane WTF ending. All I can say is I am LOVING these crazy endings to YA books lately!

If you're a fan of dystopians, thrillers, or just love an exciting read then Variant is for you! Variant earns 5 out of 5 ice cream cones.





I don't know when the sequel for Variant comes out or what it will be called but I do know this: I WILL BE READING IT!

Julia :)

3 comments:

  1. I need to get my hands on this one. I've read so many positive reviews and I think you just inspired me to go out and buy the book. Thanks so much!! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, I'm so glad I brought this one with me to school! I have it on my TBR list for December. It sounds so good! Glad to hear you loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. please explain to me the ending...was benson a android too???please ans me haha!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...