Saturday, December 10, 2011

Cover Comparison [19]

Someone on Twitter suggested I do a cover comparison for The Giver and I thought it was an absolutely fantastic idea especially since I had never seen any alternate covers before. Turns out there are quite a few different UK covers but only one US cover. Interesting huh? I decided that instead of doing a comparison with all of the UK covers (there were 4!) I would just pick my two favorites. Here are the covers:

                           US Cover                UK School Edition           UK New Edition

US Cover: I'm pretty sure everyone reading my blog has seen this cover before once in their life. There's nothing too special or flashy about it. In fact the picture of the old man kind of gives me the creeps... I don't remember much of The Giver (I heard the audiobook years ago) but it seems like there has to some better representation of the story then a picture of an old man. Especially for a middle grade novel.

UK School Edition: I quite like this cover! It gives off a bit of a cheesy vibe but the images and color scheme are nice. I would definitely be more likely to read this version of The Giver than the US one.

UK New Edition: This cover is a bit strange to me. I mean why does it look like a time warp? I love the vibrant colors but the whole swirling images thing is throwing me for a loop.

So who wins? I've gotta give it to the UK Library Edition. I love the image they used of the adult  "giving" something to the child. The other two covers are fine but this one seems to fit the book best, at least in my mind.

Which cover of The Giver do YOU like best? Be sure to vote in the poll below and sound off in the comments about why you made your decision!









Julia :)

2 comments:

  1. I love The Giver!!! I first read it for school wayyy back in elementary school and have read it multiple times since. I do agree that the US version isn't the best of covers, but it's the one I've associated with The Giver for ten years so I can't help but choose it. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say I'm a fan of the original cover, having grown up with it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...