Saturday, January 22, 2011

My thoughts on the Harry Potter series (thus far!)


So some of you may know that I am participating in the January Potter-Thon that is being hosted over at Pure Imagination! So far I have been able to read the first two Harry Potter books: The Sorcerers Stone and The Chamber of Secrets. I devoured them within two days while I was on vacation but then I couldn't get my hands on the third until I came back..... I was terribly sad about this fact. :( Anyway I thought I'd share with you guys some of my thoughts on the series so far!!!

OH MY GOSH WHY DIDN'T I READ THESE BOOKS SOONER?!?!?!?! (Oh right the 'rents wouldn't let me till I turned 18.....) Seriously I feel like I've missed out on some important part of my childhood or something. Up until now everyone around me has been talking about the Hogwarts houses, Voldemort, (he who should not be named!) and Quidditch and to me it was like they were speaking another language. Of course I knew general stuff about the series like the names of the main characters, and I had a vague idea of the overall story plot, but really? I was clueless. I just can't believe I was so clueless for so long!

Ummm wow I freaking love Hermione! Haha. We have a lot in common. We are both extreme overachievers (though her much more so than me!) and we like to follow the rules. BUT we both are willing to break the rules if we feel that its necessary! She's just so stinkin awesome!!! Hopefully she'll continue to be just as awesome in the rest of the series.

Quidditch sounds amazing. And really dangerous. That kind of sport would never be allowed in the "muggle" world because it would be to much of a hazard for school insurance policies. Hehe. XD But it still sounds so cool. I love games with a little danger!

I really, REALLY want to eat one of those chocolate frogs! They just sound really appetizing. I don't know why but they do! Apparently they sell candy imitations of it. I'm going to have go out in search of them sometime. Maybe they sell them in the candy stores at the mall? We'll see.....

I was a little weirded out by the fact that there were ghosts in the series. I totally didn't expect it. Its not bad or anything. Just.... interesting. I guess ghosts just have never struck me as a wizard sort of thing.

I LOVE OWLS!!! I've liked them for awhile now, but the Harry Potter series has kind of heightened my love for owls. The whole owl mail concept is super awesome! Like carrier pigeons only WAY cooler.

So those were some of my main thoughts on the series so far. I enjoyed Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone a bit better than Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets but the only real reason why was that I was super annoyed with Gilderoy Lockhart. Of course his character was supposed to be annoying but it seriously drove me CRAZY! Other than that the books were both equally amazing!

So my question for you guys is: Is there any series that you "can't believe you hadn't read sooner?"

Hope you guys have a fabulous Saturday!!! I'm going to be spending mine hanging out with some friends for my Birthday! My birthday was in November but we couldn't find time until now. I'm totally stoked about it. Haha.

Oh and one more thing. Does Ron sneak in his rat Scabbers? Because in the main acceptance letter it says students can have an owl, a toad, or a cat but it never mentions a rat being allowed. Maybe I'm the only one who notices that kind of thing but just thought I'd mention it.

Julia :)

7 comments:

  1. Hmm.... I never thought about Ron having to sneak Scabbers in... good catch!

    The Bertie Botts' Every Flavor Beans are amazing. If you ever find any, give them a try (they're sort of like those other jelly beans (I think they're called Jelly Belly or something like that) but with stranger flavors like grass and pepper and other things like that.

    My parent's were sort of the same way. For the longest time, my parents wouldn't let me read past book three because they had heard that the fourth was really scary. I was stuck there for maybe two years. The fourth to the last books ended up being my ultimate favorites!

    It's always fun to read/see the reactions of someone just starting out on a Harry Potter adventure! Have fun reading the other five!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SUPER EXCITED that you're finally reading this series! The books keep getting better and better, too, which is what makes the whole series and world so great.

    They do sell the chocolate frogs and, I, like the commenter above, wanted to be sure to mention that they also have Bertie Botts' Every Flavor Beans - those are a lot of fun too (some very weird flavors!).

    I've read this series, gosh, six or seven times through, now? Probably more - I read it start-to-finish with each new book and movie that came out so, yeah, probably a lot more than seven times, now that I think about it. I just last year went back and read them "literarirly," though, in order to post actual reviews for each book - if you're ineterested, feel free to take a look (don't jump ahead on the reviews, though, as I'm sure there are some spoilers!).

    Good luck with the rest of the series - so so exciting! I wish I could read them all again for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHAHAHA! I grow up with Harry Potter. I started reading these books with only eleven years old, and there were no movies, and there were only four books.

    My best friend and I shared the first five books. Later I moved to another place, so we couldn't continue with our HP Fan Club.

    I really enjoyed that time of my life... Right now, I only have the last two books. I want to make some more money, and buy all of them, hardcover, and put them in a special place on my bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I'm sorry you feel like you've missed out on a part of your childhood. That really sucks. At least you can catch up now!
    Anyways, I'm glad you're enjoying it so much! The third book is where the series really hits its stride, in my opinion, so I'm excited for you to begin reading it!
    My friend brought me home a chocolate frog from the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando a couple months ago. It was apparently pretty expensive ($10) but it was solid chocolate and it was good. The Famous Wizard Card that I got was Salazar Slytherin!
    The Scabbers thing: yeah, I noticed that. I guess J. K. Rowling isn't infallible. She makes mistakes. You may notice quite a few more like I did when you continue reading...
    There are seriously too many series to count that I wish I had read sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just remembered something else. Online, there's a Harry Potter companion for all of the books. It goes through the entire series book by book, chapter by chapter. It's really interesting! Maybe you just want to get through the series now, but later, you could go here:

    http://hpcompanion.com/

    Happy Reading!
    Jude

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so so so happy you are loving the series!! Its great that you are that excited about the first two, because they only get better and better! Have fun reading them and thanks for participating in the Potter-Thon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished Prisoner of Azkaban (I'm a first time reader as well) and it's my favorite so far! HP was after my childhood, but I bet my parents wouldn't have been too keen on me reading them either. I'm so glad Lori put together the Potter-Thon, it really pushed me to read them! Now I think my goal will be one a month so I can spread them out, but if I have an urge to read more then one a month from now on out I'll let myself ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...