Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Book Review: Moonglass


Anna's life is upended when her father accepts a job transfer the summer before her junior year. It's bad enough that she has to leave her friends and her life behind, but her dad is moving them to the beach where her parents first met and fell in love - a place awash in memories that Anna would just as soon leave under the surface. 

While life on the beach is pretty great, with ocean views and one adorable lifeguard in particular, there are also family secrets that were buried along the shore years ago. and the ebb and flow of the ocean's tide means that nothing - not the sea glass that collects on the sand and not the truths behind Anna's mother's death stays buried forever.


In a Nutshell: Moonglass is the perfect summer read! Its beachy, and fun, but also has some deeper elements that keep it grounded in reality.

Putdownability Factor: The lazy days of summer feel to Moonglass made it a more of a relax and enjoy book then a tear-through-this-as-fast-as-I-can book.

Cover Love: The cover is gorgeous. Its even sort of pearlescent in real life!!! YAY FOR SHINY BOOK COVERS! :D

My Thoughts

Moonglass isn't your average summer read. On the outside it appears to be your classic fluffy summer novel. But once you crack the cover you realize that there is a whole lot more to this story than meets the eye.

I definitely think that Moonglass falls into the same contemporary category as a Sarah Dessen book. Its got romance, and its summery and fun, but there are also some deeper subjects that play a main role in the story. I thought that Anna was a fun character, and that her progression throughout the novel was really well done. I also liked Tyler a lot! Normally I'm not a big fan of lifeguard beach boy kinds of guys, but Tyler had a sweetness to him that I thought was really endearing.

One of the best things about this novel was the setting. I don't think I've ever read a book that had a more beachy feel to it. Jessi Kirby's writing is so atmospheric! Everytime I opened the pages I would be transported to the beach; I could hear the waves, feel the sand, smell the ocean. Moonglass is the epitome of summer beach reading.

The one element that really made this book for me was the whole back story about Anna's parents. How they met on the beach, how they fell in love, that whole story was just such a win!

All in all this book was really enjoyable. If you're looking for a summer read that is both fluffy, and deep, then Moonglass is for you! Oh and bonus points for CLIFF JUMPING!!!! :D

I give it 4 out of 5 ice cream cones.


Julia :)

2 comments:

  1. yayyy i just finished my last book and i needed a new one to read! thank you for helping me pick :)

    madeline

    changingtunestheblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're moving up this book from my to be read pile! You had me at cliff jumping! I was like, "Really?! Cool! I have to read this sooner!"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...