Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Book Review: Wintergirls


Lia and Cassie were best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies. But now Cassie is dead. Lia's mother is busy saving other people's lives. Her father is away on business. Her stepmother is clueless. An dthe voice in side Lia's head keeps telling her to remain in control, stay strong, lose more, weigh less. If she keeps on going this way - thin, thinner, thinnest - maybe she'll disappear altogether.


In a Nutshell: Wintergirls is a hard look into the world of eating disorders

Putdownability Factor: The difficult nature of this novel makes it one of those ones you really have to process therefore, taking reading breaks was necessary. For me at least.

Cover Love: Gorgeous. Perfect. The reason why I got the book in the first place! I mean come on, ITS SHINY!!!! :D

My Thoughts

I've never had an eating disorder, nor have I ever known anyone who has had one, but that didn't stop this book from really hitting home for me. This book scared me in the best way possible and it also saddened me deeply. Before reading Wintergirls I knew that eating disorders were a problem. I knew they existed. But I didn't know the full extent of what they were and how they could take root in a persons life and just consume then from the inside out. Now I know. And I have this book to thank for opening my eyes to the truth.

Laurie Halse Anderson's writing is dense, and sporadic, and perfectly detached. Its poetic, but at the same time its halting. I loved it. Every bit of it.

Wintergirls definitely isn't light reading. Its emotionally draining, but in the end it proves to be totally worth it. There are some people who say that Wintergirls is too dark for teens. And I agree to an extent. Its definitely a bit dark for young teen readers. But if you're older and think you have the maturity to handle this book, then I definitely encourage you to give it a chance.

Wintergirls isn't for everyone. Laurie Halse Anderson holds nothing back when it comes to the effects of eating disorders and the result is dark, and gritty, but in the end its triumphant. I give Wintergirls 4 out of 5 ice cream cones.


Who would I recommend this book to: More mature readers who can handle the intensity of the subject matter. I also would encourage someone to read this book if they have a friend who is struggling with an eating disorder.

Julia :)

5 comments:

  1. So glad you liked it! I read this last year I think and absolutely loved it. Such an amazing novel, perfect for anyone interested in the emotional side of eating disorders. I agree that more mature readers would like it better than simpler or younger ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. This book was intense for sure. Laura Halse Anderson is such a deep writer that really plunges you emotionally into her stories.
    Lisa ~ YA Literature Lover

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing review Julia. I love how it opened your eyes and told you so much more about this disorder. I love books that do that so I'm definitely going to have to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started reading this! For people who say that the book is too dark for teens...you can't make eating disorders and death lighthearted, but it's a subject that needs addressing. Many teens wrestle with anorexia and bulemia. Thank heaven for authors like Anderson who aren't afraid of what the critics might say! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your review. I also really enjoyed this book. I love that Anderson isn't afraid to talk about these issues like eating disorders, rape, and other intense issues. Many teens face these issues and it needs to be addressed.

    I loved this book. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...