Monday, October 25, 2010

Book Review: This World We Live In


This World We Live In is the third installment to The Last Survivors Trilogy or The Moon Crash Trilogy. I've heard it go by both names so I don't know which one is actually official. Maybe neither is and fans have just taken it to calling it what they want. Personally I think the Last Survivors Trilogy sounds cooler. But thats besides the point.... Anyway the other two books in the series are called Life as We Knew It and The Dead and the Gone. You don't have to read all three of the books (you don't even have to read them in order really) but I think that as a whole the story is a lot more powerful. So on with the review!

It has been nearly a year since an asteroid hit the moon catapulting it closer to the earth and forever changing the world and its climate. But despite all odds Miranda's family has survived it all: the hunger, the freezing winter, and the sickness that nearly wiped out their town. But now with the return of Miranda's father and his family and friends, food is scarcer than ever. Will Miranda's family be able to survive on what little provisions they have? Or will they have to leave their home and trust to fate that they will find safety elsewhere? And what will happen when a hurricane comes and threatens to take away all the dreams that Miranda holds dear?

I really enjoyed this book. It is written entirely from the perspective of Miranda in the form of her journal entries during the story. I always tend to like books written in a journal entry style. Theres something about it that I really like. While this story was not quite as strong as the first two I really thought that it tied up the series nicely. The inclusion of the protagonists from the two previous books was a neat way to wrap the series together. Although I did think that the romance between Miranda and Alex was a bit weird. It didn't feel very natural. They're relationship was very rushed. The whole plot of the book felt a little rushed actually. And the main conflict and resolution didn't happen until last 40 pages of the book which was a kind of strange to me. I was thinking "Wait I just read through this whole book only to get to the main point practically at the very end?" But the first part of the story was still interesting and so it wasn't that bad I guess. Overall I thought that it was a good book, but not great. However I did think it ended the series well so I will give it 4 ice cream cones out of 5.


Julia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...