Sunday, October 31, 2010

In My Mailbox

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted over at the lovely blog The Story Siren. The point is to blog about books that you have somehow procured during the week!

My Library just got a bunch of new YA fiction and I am soooo excited to read them all! Here's what I checked out:

  • The Unidentified by Rae Mariz        
  • Birthmarked by Caragh O'Brien       
  • Annexed by Sharon Dogar               
  • I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore
  • The Enemy by Charlie Higson         

The Unidentified
Out of all the books I checked out this is the one that I am the most eager to read. Its set in a dystopian society where school has pretty much turned into a giant reality TV show where teenagers try to make new trends to get picked up by sponsors and become "branded." Those who become "branded" are immediately catapulted to fame and popularity. The main protagonist, a girl named Kid, has never wanted to be in the limelight, but unwittingly catches the eye of not one but two sponsors. Kids new life seems great at first but then it slowly causes her to question the society around her. No longer does she want to be famous. Instead she wants to join the ranks of The Unidentified.  Sounds interesting ehhhh? Hopefully it won't disappoint!

Birthmarked
Inside the wall of a city known as the Enclave lives 16 year old Gaia. She doesn't question any aspect of her life until her parents are mysteriously arrested by the Enclave authorities. Will Gaia be able to save her parents even with the scar that automatically marks her as an outcast? I have to admit that at first I wasn't interested in this book. I saw it at the Library a few times and read the summary and just thought "meh" and decided not to check it out. But one of my friends kept bugging me about it so I have decided to give it a chance. And actually as I have looked into it I have become more intrigued with the story. We'll see how it goes.

Annexed
Surprisingly enough one genre that I really enjoy is historical fiction. Annexed is the events of The Diary of Anne Frank told from Peter Van Pels perspective. I have a special connection to the Anne Frank story because the youth theatre that I'm involved in (yep I'm a drama girl too!) did the play last year. It was amazing! My sister played Margot and I did sound teching. Anyway that whole experience of watching the story come alive really made it all the more poignant. I hope that this book is able to tell Peters story with dignity and grace.

I Am Number Four
I had a mini freak out session in the Library when I saw this on the shelf I was so excited!!! I've heard a lot of good things about it. The story revolves around an alien boy named John or Number Four. He is being hunted by the Mogdorians (more aliens?) whose mission is to kill all nine of the Loric children. The only catch is that they have to kill them in order. And John is next..... Compelling much? And its already been made into a movie that will be released February 18, 2011. And to top it all off the movie is starring the very good looking British actor Alex Pettyfer. Call me crazy, but I'm quite the fan of his. :)

The Enemy
Zombies anyone? In this novel everyone over the age of 16 is struck with a devastating disease that turns out to be, yep you guessed it, the zombie virus! How will the teenagers of the world survive when everyone else is out to eat their flesh? The summary sounds really good. Although the thought did strike me that if this story really happened I would become a zombie because I'm not under 16..... Blast! Haha.

So thats what I got "In My Mailbox" this week! What did you get?

Julia :)

3 comments:

  1. The Unidentified looks and sounds great, I hope to hear what you think of it!

    I've heard mixed things about I Am Number Four.. Some people say it's amazing, others say it's totally boring.

    Anyway, happy reading! Great books :)

    Amber - www.coconutsandcream.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear what you think of The Unidentified. Happy reading :)

    http://irresistiblereads.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic library haul! I'll definitely be checking back for your reviews on some of these! Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...