Saturday, October 23, 2010

Suggestion Saturday: The Hunger Games Trilogy


So the other day my mother was saying to me "Julia, you need to review some books that you have already read, not just new books!" I have taken her suggestion to heart and have decided that every Saturday I will post a review of a book or series that I have already read that I enjoyed. My mother specifically stated that I should review The Hunger Games Trilogy. Probably because she's tired of hearing me talk about it all the time and she hopes writing about it will get my thoughts out and get me to stop talking about it non-stop...... She's probably right too. So in keeping with the dystopian theme for the month I am going to review The Hunger Games Trilogy (yup as a whole) for my new weekly feature suggestion saturday. :)

This is a spoiler free review!

 Winning means fame and fortune. Losing means certain death. Let the games begin.

 So The Hunger Games Trilogy consists of The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay. They are all equally amazing books. And as a whole the story is stunning. But I will warn you that this story is not all bunnies and rainbows. This is an adventure story, a survival story, a love story, but above all it is a war story. And Suzanne Collins doesn't hold anything back. She gives it to you about as raw and brutal as she can. So be forewarned: These books are not good for people who get easily depressed, or for children under the age of 13. 

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death – televised for all of Panem to see.
Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Katniss Everdeen is my favorite literary character ever. She is strong and tough, but at the same time she has is vulnerable and full of humanity. And she is such a badass! I could really relate to Katniss. She is so like myself its crazy. I have to say that the strongest point in Suzanne Collins writing is her ability to create characters that you truly care about. Her characters have so much depth to them its amazing. The people she creates aren't just characters in a book. They become real to the reader. Which is part of the reason these books are so powerful. You feel connected to these characters and their struggles for survival, love and freedom.

The story itself is exciting, suspenseful, sad, violent, jarring, and overall just beautiful. Sure it isn't perfect. Nothing is. Everyone is going to find something to hate about these books. A lot of people didn't like the ending to the trilogy. Me personally? Yes it was depressing. Yes it was a bit disappointing. Yes it wasn't "what I had wanted." But like I said this story isn't all bunnies and rainbows. Its real. Suzanne Collins wrote it so that kids would realize the horror of war and the pain and desolation it causes. She succeeded. War isn't easy. War is violent, and brutal. War is destruction and death. But ultimately at the end of a war comes peace. There are scars and sacrifices, but there is also a hope for what the future will bring.

I rate this series 5 out of 5 cupcakes.





These are the best books I have read in a long time and I don't think I will be reading something better anytime soon. They will surprise you, scare you, make you laugh and cry. And ask anybody I don't cry very easily! I cannot recommend this trilogy enough. READ IT!!!! You will not be disappointed.

Oh and suggest that you make sure that when you read these books you A. Have a lot of time on your hands because these suck you in and you won't want to put them down and B. You have easy access to all 3 books. Unfortunately when I read them I had to wait 2 weeks for Catching Fire and then 2 more weeks after that for Mockingjay. Which was TORTURE. Just ask my friends and family I was practically going insane not being able to read it.  I can't even imagine being one of the fans who had to wait a whole year before Mockingjay was released...... Anyway I just think that for your own emotional sanity (and for the sanity of those around you) you should make sure to have all 3 books within your possession before you start the series. Forsake my advice if you wish. But believe me, its not worth it.

Julia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...