Saturday, October 30, 2010

Suggestion Saturday: The Maze Runner


In keeping with October's Dystopian theme I have decided to review The Maze Runner for Suggestion Saturday! It is book one in The Maze Runner Trilogy. So without further ado heres the review!


When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls. Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift. Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers. Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind. 


First of all this book has a great summary. Talk about mysterious! It just draws you in right away. And the totally awesome cover doesn't hurt either! But the best part about this book? It delivered! I was not disappointed in any way. The beginning was a little slow but once I got about a third of the way in I was hooked! I literally stayed up until one in the morning just to keep reading because the book was so engrossing. The ending has me dying for the sequel The Scorch Trials. It just came out but unfortunately my Library hasn't shelved it yet. I am first on the hold list though! Anyway this book was full of awesome sauce. Lots of action, suspense and mystery. I did feel that the ending wasn't quite as strong as the middle of the book but overall the plotting was great. The only complaint I have was that the characters could have had more depth. They felt a little one dimensional to me. Then again they do have their memories wiped so its not like they even know who they are anymore. Hopefully there will be more character development in the next 2 books.

I give this book 5 cupcakes out of 5!






One of the best dystopian books I have read. If you loved The Hunger Games then you will love The Maze Runner.

Julia :)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome review! The Maze Runner is one of the first books I ever reviewed on my blog, and I adored it. I'm so glad to see you did, as well!

    I'm a new follower, by the way...I found you on the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...