Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Book Review: Please Ignore Vera Dietz

Please Ignore Vera Dietz
by A.S. King
323 Pages
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: October 12, 2010
Source: Library

Vera's spent her whole life secretly in love with her best friend, Charlie Kahn. And over the years she's kept a lot of secrets. Even after he betrayed her. Even after he ruined everything.

So when Charlie dies in dark circumstances, Vera knows a lot more than anyone - the kids at school, his family, even the police. But will she emerge to clear his name? Does she even want to?

In a Nutshell: A refreshingly real contemporary about love, loss, and what it really means to be a friend.

Putdownability Factor: I could have read this in one sitting if I had time. It was that good.

Cover Love: I'm embarrassed to admit this but it took me till halfway through the book to realize that the image on this cover was a zippo lighter and not a coffee mug on a desk..... >.< Now that I know what it is I totally get it and I think the cover is perfect.

My Thoughts

I LOVED this book. From the sassy and sarcastic narrative to the hilarious flow charts Please Ignore Vera Dietz was just pure awesome. And can I just say that Vera Dietz is like my literary twin? Yep, I love her. She was witty, and fun, and if she were a real person I would totally want to be her best friend.

What was so great about Please Ignore Vera Dietz was that A.S. King was really able to capture the struggles of teenagedom in all its glory. Parent problems. Longing to prove yourself. Breaking free from your past. All of it. It was so achingly real. Please Ignore Vera Dietz is definitely the most relatable (and enjoyable!) contemporary I've read all year.

If you're looking for a book with a fresh teen voice and a story that is honest, relatable, and just absolutely amazing then Please Ignore Vera Dietz is for you. I give it 5 out of 5 ice cream cones!


Oh and the author A.S. King is coming to Arizona next month! I AM SO EXTREMELY PSYCHED!!!! :D

Julia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...