Saturday, September 17, 2011

Cover Comparisons [10]

In my opinion The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff had one of the most gorgeous and eerie covers of 2010. I could buy that book just for its cover. Anyway it wasn't until recently that I ran across the UK cover for the Replacement and seeing it made me want to do a cover comparison!

                                             US Cover                     UK Cover

US Cover: Eerie. Dark. Creepy. Absolutely perfect. I LOVE THIS COVER. It coincides with the story perfectly and its absolutely intriguing. This is definitely one of my favorite cover designs ever. Oh and it's shiny. Always a plus. :)

UK Cover: The UK cover just doesn't have the same "wow" factor that the US cover has. It still gives off dark and mysterious vibe but it doesn't have the same intrigue as the US cover. Also I'm not a huge fan of having full pictures of the protagonist on covers. I like to be able to build my own image of the character in my mind.

So who wins? Definitely the US cover. Its captures the essence of The Replacement perfectly. The UK cover is fine, but it just can't compare to the brilliant US cover.

Which cover of The Replacement do YOU like best? Be sure to vote in the poll below and sound off in the comments about why you made your decision!


Julia :)

7 comments:

  1. I love the US cover! I'm getting a bit sick of all these covers with random people standing around, running, or gazing off to the side. I like to create my own mental image of a character. Also, your voting widget didn't work for me. (+1 for US cover!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the book yet but The Replacement is one that I absolutely bought because of the cover. I'm not ashamed to admit I'm guilty of buying a book for its cover lol! Especially one as fabulous as that! You're so right, the UK one doesn't work at all. I wonder why they chose something so bland compared to the US cover?

    Donna @ The Happy Booker

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually kind of like the UK cover better. Visually it looks better than the US cover even if the US cover is a little more mysterious. They are both interesting because in a way they both make you think...

    I don't know...I like them both but I like the UK cover better for some reason.

    http://blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought this book because of the cover too (US). I really liked it too!
    -Danna

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw the US cover a few months ago, I decided I needed this book in my life. Then, I read the summary and it only confirmed that I needed the book in my life. It's so delightfully creepy! But, I can't imagine what would have happened if I'd seen the UK version first. I probably would have looked past this book. It's so unimaginative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The UK cover is okay. It sticks to the "Hey, I'm a paranormal book. See my cover? Read me if you want." If it could talk. The US is more like, "I'm shiny and smooth and I bet you want to know what I'm all about don't you?, Well, I'm not going to tell you. You'll have to read me!"

    Okaaay. Talking books. That's not weird...(laughs)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...