Friday, September 30, 2011

Review: What Happened to Goodbye

What Happened to Goodbye
by Sarah Dessen
402 Pages
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Publication Date: May 10, 2011
Source: Library

Another town?

Another new school?

Mclean really doesn't mind. In fact, she welcomes the chance to try on a new persona. Ever since her parent's bitter divorce, she and her father have been on the move, leaving the unhappy past behind them. and each move has brought a fresh opportunity for Mclean to reinvent herself. Perky rah-rah girl. Drama mama. All-around joiner.

But here in Lakeview, for the first time she's putting down roots, making friends, and just trying to be someone she hasn't been in a long time: herself. Dave has something to do with it. He's the most real person Mclean's ever met, and he thinks he's falling in love with the real Mclean. Mcelan doesn't even know who that is anymore, but she wants to find out - before it's time to move on again.

If you've read a Sarah Dessen novel before then you probably know her usual formula. Troubled girl finds an equally troubled boy and before you know it they learn all about themselves and each other and then they fall in love, the end. But even with this fairly basic plot line Sarah Dessen has always managed to capture my attention and teach me something in the process. I'm happy to say that What Happened to Goodbye is no exception. While I didn't enjoy it as much as some of her other novels *cough* Along for the Ride *cough* What Happened to Goodbye still turned out to be the perfect end-of-the-summer contemporary. It was insightful, full of fun moments, and it involved restaurants. I don't know about you guys but I'm a firm believer that food makes everything better. :P Finally there was a wonderful cast of quirky characters that really made this book come to life. I wasn't a huge fan of Mclean (she was a fine character, just a little flat for me) but I really loved Dave (smart AND cute. Always a plus!) and Deb. I've honestly never encountered a character like Deb before. She was just so eclectic and surprising!

What Happened to Goodbye gets 4 out of 5 ice cream cones!


If you're looking for a contemporary that has the perfect mix of insight and fun then What Happened to Goodbye is for you!

Julia :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm a big Sarah Dessen fan. Along For The Ride is my favorite book and I have this one waiting to be read. I don't want to read it yet and its been months since it was out. I even preordered it. Dave is smart and cute? Awww. I was reading some Sarah Dessen quotes on Goodreads the other day and I got kind of spoiled (just a scene) for this book and I was like, "SPOILERRR". I seriously have to read this. Okay, I'm rambling. Bye! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...