Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Book Review: Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Will Grayson, Will Grayson
by John Green and David Levithan
310 pages
Publisher: Dutton Books
Publication Date: April 6th 2010
Source: Library 
One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical.




Will Grayson, Will Grayson is quite possibly the gayest and most fabulous book in all of YA literature. It has musical numbers, and secret online personas, and $100 fake ID's that turn out to be duds. In fact if there was one lesson I learned from Will Grayson, Will Grayson it was this: Don't buy a fake ID from a stoner. Well, that and don't be afraid to live life big. REALLY big.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson is told from the perspective of two characters who, you guessed it, happen to both have the name Will Grayson. Yeah, it's a little confusing at first (okay a LOT of confusing) but David Levithan and John Green are successful at creating two VERY different Will Graysons. I may be a bit biased because I LOVE JOHN GREEN but his Will Grayson was definitely my favorite of the two. I don't think it helped that David Levithan's writing was completely lacking any sort of proper capitalization. I mean look at it:

For a grammar/punctuation nazi like myself THIS DROVE ME BATTY! I had gotten used to it by the end of the book but it was still terribly distracting. :P

While I liked John Green's Will Grayson I have to say he was not my favorite character in the book. Oh no. That honor goes to Tiny Cooper, Will Grayson's (yes, John Green's Will Grayson's) gay best friend. He was fabulous in every since the word and altogether not tiny. Hey Tiny can you please come and be my gay best friend? Please?

The story itself was the epitome of entertaining. I laughed uproariously throughout the entire thing. Plus there are musical numbers. MUSICAL NUMBERS. Musical numbers in YA are like crack for me. Oh and the ending was also sweet and touching and if I wasn't such a cold hearted person who doesn't cry at anything but death then I would have probably gotten a bit teary.

If you're looking for a fabulous book to read then I highly suggest Will Grayson, Will Grayson and if you're a John Green fan who has yet to read this book WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!?! It's made of awesome!

Will Grayson, Will Grayson gets 4 out of 5 ice cream cones!


Julia :)

1 comment:

  1. http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/06/will-grayson-will-grayson-by-john-green.html your review is awesome! I want Tiny Cooper to be my best friend too...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...