Saturday, March 31, 2012

Cover Comparison [29]

This week we're looking at the many covers of Blood Red Road by Moira Young! If you haven't yet read this awesome novel then you really should because it is a standout in the dystopian genre. Really: YOU NEED TO READ IT.

So back to the topic at hand. The cover comparison. Let's take a look at the contenders shall we?

                    Original US Cover        Paperback US Cover               UK Cover


Original US Cover: I love, love, LOVE this cover! It perfectly captures the harsh desolate desert setting of the book (and don't I know that well living in Arizona?) and the font and the way they did the color grading for it are AWESOME. Seriously this is one of my favorite covers EVER. So simple, but still so perfect.

Paperback US Cover: The first time I saw this cover was in the middle of WalMart and I seriously stopped and was like what the crap? What is this Dust Lands book I've never seen before? And then I realized it was Blood Red Road and I was like WHY ON EARTH WOULD THEY CHANGE THE ORIGINAL COVER TO THIS?!?! I don't know about you guys but this cover makes the book look almost like a sci-fi novel because of the font choice. And why oh why is Dust Lands bigger than the actual title? Plus I'm not a fan of the "better than The Hunger Games" quote. I mean keep it classy folks! There is no need to compare these books. They're both fantastic in their own ways. However I do like the covers color scheme.

UK Cover: I actually really like this cover. Saba's pet raven Nero plays a big part in the story and he basically kicks ass so it's nice to see him getting some cover recognition. I also really love the modern feel to the cover and the contrast of the black, red, and yellow against the white. It makes everything pop.

So who wins? My favorite is the original US cover. I JUST LOVE IT SO MUCH. The UK cover is pretty cool too but still not quite as cool as the original US cover. And the new paperback cover? Yeah, not fan. :/

Which cover of Blood Red Road do YOU like best? Be sure to vote in the poll below and sound off in the comments about why you made your decision!


Do you have any suggestions for future Cover Comparisons? Leave them in this form!

Julia :)

1 comment:

  1. I have Blood Red Road out from the library right now! I've just started reading it! :)
    Personally, I like the UK cover best...but then again, I have a tendency to like the covers that are the first ones I see of a book the best.
    I agree, it's so weird that Dust Lands is bigger than the title on the second cover!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...