Saturday, March 17, 2012

Cover Comparison: Uglies UK Edition [28]

The Uglies Trilogy by Scott Westerfeld has a TON of different covers. They just recently released new UK covers so I thought it would be perfect to compare them with the old UK covers! I had never even seen the original UK covers before I did this post. Both sets of covers are pretty interesting. Let's check 'em out!

Original UK Covers

New UK Covers

Original UK Covers: I don't know about you but these covers totally give me the heebie-jeebies. I mean the headless disassembled Barbie dolls? And then the creepy Barbie getting her waist measured? And then the last one is like a bloody razor or something? WAH?! I feel like the Uglies cover works pretty well and then the Pretties cover is okay but the Specials cover totally deviates. Why no more Barbies? Stick with the theme cover designers! 

New UK Covers: Anyone else sensing the new trend in UK covers of neon on black? No? Maybe it's just because these covers sorta of remind me of the UK covers for the Gone series. Anyway I like these covers. I really do. I'm a little iffy on the neon but overall it works and the use of the razors is really cool and creepy. Oh and the eyes. Don't get me started on the eyes.

So who wins? I'm giving it to the new UK covers. Both sets of covers do a pretty good job of capturing the essence of the series but the old UK covers don't really go well together. Like I said: Don't deviate from your themes cover designers! The new UK covers however match really nicely and they have a great creepy vibe to them. 

Which set of UK covers for the Uglies trilogy do YOU like best? Be sure to vote in the poll below and sound off in the comments about why you made your decision!



Oh and I didn't show it for the cover comparison because from what I can tell there isn't a newly designed UK cover for Extras but the original UK cover for Extras is the creepiest of all. Check it out:


Ummm wow Barbie heads in a bottle? That is downright nightmare inducing. O.O

If you have any suggestions for future cover comparisons feel free to leave them in this form.

Julia :)

7 comments:

  1. I actually really love the creepiness of the original UK covers; they're so much more striking than the new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, the old ones give me the creeps! If I saw them on the shelf though, it'd definitely catch my attention! (Totally agree with you about stopping the Barbie theme, why!?) I like the new ones, but I don't love-love them. I totally adore the new US white ones, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The original UK covers are really creepy and I probably would've never picked them up just because of how creepy they looked... The new ones are still creepy, but better in a way. They actually kind of remind me of the UK covers for the Gone series because of the black background and the colored titles. The original UK ones probably would have given me nightmares in my sleep! Especially the Extras one! Barbie heads? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The new covers look boring and play it safe. I like the originals better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new ones are boring...I really like the Barbie parts, they're interesting and would make me more likely to pick up the books to see what they're about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This night I will have nightmares whith those barbies. The new covers are great! I would´t buy Uglies with the original covers

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a tough choice because I actually like both versions of the covers. The ones with the barbies are really disturbing, and I actually kind of like that. But, I guess I'll have to cast my vote for the new version of the covers. I like how they are simple and consistent. What's with the third cover of the old version not including barbies?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...