Friday, August 5, 2011

Book Review: Feed


"We went to the moon to have fun, but the moon turned out to completely suck."

So says Titus, a teenager whose ability to read, write, and even think for himself has been almost completely obliterated by his "feed," a transmitter implanted directly into his brain. Feeds are a crucial part of life for Titus and his friends. But then Titus meets Violet, a girl who cares about what's happening to the world and challenges everything Titus holds dear. A girl who decides to fight the feed.


In a Nutshell: Feed is a scary look into a future where society is driven by materialism and technology.

Putdownability Factor: Not that high. The story runs on emotion rather than thrills.


Cover Love: Its the back of a head. And a bald head at that. Since when has a bald head been a good marketing tool? Just saying... :P


My Thoughts 

Feed is definitely not your average dystopian. It isn't a fast paced, page turning thriller like The Hunger Games, but nor is it really a slow and somber look into the future like The Giver. Feed is like no dystopian I've read before. Its about relationships, humanity, and what it means to really live.

Ultimately Feed was really hard for me to get into. The prose felt really choppy and the modern language style was difficult for me to follow. It was like a really weird form of teen slang that I just didn't get AT ALL.

Once I finally got around the awkward language Feed did start to get better. I loved what the book was trying to convey. At what point do we lose our humanity? When we turn ourselves into walking electronics? When we stop talking face to face? When we start to think that open sores are a cool new fashion trend? When we start to become so materialistic that we forget who we are? Some of the things in Feed seemed so out there that I felt like it could never become a reality, but at the same time a lot of it rang true. It scared me. Is this where our society is headed?

While I loved the message of Feed it was devoid of one important element. Hope. There was not a lot of Hope. Even at the end of dystopian books as depressing as Mockingjay, and Farenheit 451 there is still a glimmer of hope. But Feed? I didn't feel much hope. In fact, the first words out of my mouth after I finished Feed were "Gosh. That book was depressing."

Did I like Feed? To an extent, yes. I liked that it made me think. I liked that it posed some interesting questions. But overall, the depressing tone of the novel, and the really strange writing style just didn't work for me. I give it 3 out of 5 ice cream cones.


Who would I recommend this book to? Teenagers who like dystopian novels and also any reader who likes books that really make them think.

Julia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...