Saturday, August 20, 2011

Cover Comparisons [6]

While browsing through the interwebs I discovered that Scott Westerfelds Uglies series got a cover makeover! I don't really know why, (I guess they just thought the old covers were getting stale after 6 years on the shelves? Who knows) but it poses the perfect opportunity for a COVER COMPARISON!!! This will be the first time I'm comparing the covers of an entire series instead of just one or two covers. Pretty exciting if you ask me. Here goes nothing:

 Old Covers

 New Covers

Old Covers: I really like these covers. I love that each is beautiful on its own, but that they also look great as a whole. I definitely think that these covers capture the essence of the Uglies series, even though they're just photos of faces. They also have a great intensity to them that really captures your attention.

New Covers: I'm gonna be honest here, I am not a fan of the new covers. They look a bit too digitized (especially the Extras cover) and they feel really clinical. Plus the fact that they have the name of each title in the series along the top of each book just seems a bit hokey to me. Oh and the cover of Uglies scares the crap out of me. What exactly is the point of a face getting smothered by bedsheets? Yeah, creepy. And to top it all off I don't feel like the covers really go well together. They aren't cohesive like the previous covers were. :/

So who wins? For me its the old covers hands down. They're visually stunning and they portray the series well without getting too freaky. The new covers are okay, but I would greatly prefer having the old covers on my bookshelf.

What about you guys? Do you prefer the old covers of the Uglies series or do you think the new designs are even better? Be sure to let me know by voting in the poll below!



Julia :)

3 comments:

  1. I actually like the new covers quite a lot. I love how they're mostly white and clean-looking. It looks a bit more futuristic/sci-fi than the original covers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of the old, I like the first and third. Of the new, I like the first two. Really not a fan of *any* of the others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really don't like the 2nd of the old covers, but the 1st on the new ones creeps me out! other than that, i like the old ones. (:

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...