Saturday, August 13, 2011

Cover Comparisons [5]

Today I'm comparing the covers of If I Stay by Gayle Foreman. These covers are like polar opposites of each other. One is definitely the modern and "eye-catching" stock photo style, while the other is the more subtle artwork style. So which one wins?


                    Original Cover           Paperback Cover

Original Cover: While I don't think that the original cover is very engaging, the more I look at it the more I realize how perfect it is for If I Stay. Its got this beautiful simplicity to it, and I love the symbolism behind the single blossom on the tree. Will it stay on the branch, or will it fall to the ground? There was definitely a lot of thought put into this cover design.

Paperback Cover: This cover on the other hand is very engaging. Its got a melancholy, almost edgy vibe to it, and I love the muted colors. This cover was what made me read If I Stay in the first place. That was in the height of my "I love covers with close up faces" reading stage (Before I Fall, All Unquiet Things, etc). I also love that this cover matches with the Where She Went cover. What can I say, I'm a sucker for coordinating book covers. :P Oh, and does anyone else agree with me that the girl in this photo kind of looks like Megan Fox????

So who wins: I've gotta give it to the paperback cover. Sure, its not as original, nor is it as symbolic as the original, but it was what got me to read the book in the first place. I've gotta give credit where credit is due.

Be sure to cast your vote for your favorite If I Stay cover below!



Julia :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, yes! Someone else who thinks she looks like Meghan Fox! I think I'd like the paperback cover more if that's not what popped into my head every time I saw it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...