Saturday, August 27, 2011

Cover Comparisons [7]

I LOVE the book Paper Towns by John Green. Definitely one of my favorite reads of 2010. Its gotten quite a few covers since its publication so I thought I would compare them today! This is in honor of my little brother who deemed Paper Towns "too girly" merely because the cover has a girl on it. Ironic since the entire story is told from the male perspective. Ohhh brother how little you know.... XD Anyway, Paper Towns is unusual in that when it was first published it got two covers: one to appeal to males and one to appeal to females. Now Paper Towns also has a paperback cover. Lets compare all 3 shall we?

                 "Male" Cover                   "Female" Cover

                                    Paperback Cover

"Male" Cover: I don't think the whole "capture the male audience" thing really worked with this cover because my brother HATES it. I specifically asked him "what about the guy cover?" and he answered "you mean the weird emo one with the dirt on her face? Ewwww no." Straight from the males mouth. Even though my brother doesn't like this cover I do. I almost bought two copies of Paper
Towns just to get the two separate covers. I also loved that they gave this one a matte finish. It was a nice touch. However I have to agree with my brother that the random dirt smudges are a bit weird. O.o

"Female" Cover: I ADORE this cover. The colors are bright and cheery and I think that the cover model is a good representation of Margo. In fact, it was the cover alone that made me read Paper Towns. I don't even know what it is, but there is something about this cover that drew me in everytime I went to the Library. It has an "it" factor that's hard to pin down, but its definitely there. I do have to agree with my brother that the cover is a bit on the girly side, but really its only because the cover model is a girl.

Paperback Cover: I see this cover and I think "meh, roadtrip novel." Which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but I don't think it really captures the greatness of Paper Towns. It is an eyecatching cover having that giant push pin and all, but this cover alone wouldn't make me want to read the book. The funny thing is my brother likes this cover way better than the other two. It's a lot more "male" I guess. >.<

So who wins? THE "FEMALE" COVER!!! Its one of my favorite book covers ever. Don't ask why, because I honestly don't know, but I just love it. However, if you were to ask my brother he would say that the paperback cover wins.

So there you have it folks. My thoughts (with some input from my broskie!) on the many covers of John Green's Paper Towns. Now its your turn! Which cover is YOUR favorite? Be sure to vote in the poll below!



Julia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...