Monday, August 22, 2011

I cooked a Hunger Games meal!

Yesterday me and one of my very good friends Cristian (he's got a blog, you should check it out!) got together and cooked up one of the Hunger Games dishes from the awesome blog Fictional Food! We decided to make the Lunch With Cinna dish and it actually turned out pretty good! Here is a little walk through (complete with pictures!) of the dish.


We started out by cutting up the chicken breasts and coating them in flour and some salt and pepper.


Then we tossed them in a pan to fry them. They were supposed to get browned and all that but I didn't wait long enough for the butter to heat in the pan before adding the chicken (clearly I have no patience. :P) and so they didn't get a chance to brown. Cooking chicken breasts is tricky because the meat can turn chewy so easily. I sacrificed the browning for chicken that wasn't chewy. Not a bad trade off if you ask me, though I would have liked it browner. Curse me and my impatience! :/


Then we added in the cream, orange juice, and orange pieces. As you can see I probably should have picked a larger pan to cook this in.... hehehe. >.<


We removed the chicken and orange pieces so that we could season the sauce separately. Definitely a good idea since the pan I chose was a bit small.



And voila! The finished product! Not bad ehhh? I think it turned out fairly well. Unfortunately the sauce on its own tasted kind of odd and acidic. A commenter on the Fictional Food blog said their sauce tasted a bit like vomit and I have to agree. Cream and citrus aren't a very good pairing.... The good thing is that once it was paired with the chicken, orange pieces, and rice it tasted great! Oh and it needed salt. LOTS of salt. Yay for sodium overload! :D

Overall I give this recipe a 3.5. I think if I did it again I would make the cream sauce differently. I wouldn't add in the orange juice and just make it more of an alfredo. Hopefully that would cut down on the awkward pukish taste. :P

I'm definitely going to try the Lamb Stew with Dried Plumbs dish next! Who knows when I'll get around to it, but I will post about it when it does happen. I promise!

If you want to try making this dish you can find the recipe and anything else you might want to know about fictional food here.

Julia :)

4 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks pretty good! Erm, you know, except for the vomit sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU CAN COOK. *jealous*
    Seriously, I can't even cook chicken and I think it's the first time I learned that if you overcook chicken it turns chewy. I'm such a failure at life :/
    Haha love the post! I had no idea there was "Fictional Food" *runs off to stalk recipes I will inevitably screw up*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I guess it's good I didn't try the sauce on its own. I just ate everything put together! Great job! It wasn't anything I'd add to my usual dinner rotation, but it still tasted good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to see other fictionnal foods. Nice meals in perspective, thanks for the link !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...