Friday, December 3, 2010

Book Review: Freefall


Seth McCoy was the last person to see his best friend, Isaac, alive, and the first to find him dead. It was just another night, just another party, just another time when Isaac drank too much and passed out on the lawn. Only this time, Isaac didn't wake up. Convinced that his own actions led to his friend's death, Seth is torn between turning his life around... or losing himself completely. Then he meets Rosetta: so beautiful and so different from everything he's ever known. But Rosette has secrets of her own, and Seth will soon realize he isn't the only one who needs saving....


I LOVED the themes in this book. Moving past hardship, overcoming obstacles, and forgiveness are all things that I everyone faces in life. I know I have multiple times. This book definitely helped me to see things in a new light. That sometimes, I may be afraid of something, but I just have to take the leap, and the freefall may be scary at first, but in the end its worth it.

Seth and Rosetta were both great characters. Their relationship was really great, because both of them were able to learn something from each other. They didn't just sit around and make out all the time. They talked about their problems. They opened up to each other. And most of all they helped each other heal. Seth and Rosetta were able to push each other to become the best people they could be. It was nice to see such a healthy relationship in a YA novel.

So far my review makes this book sound kind of serious. Haha. But it definitely had its funny moments! This was my personal favorite in the book:

Tara and Brittany started dancing together right beside me, and, I have to say, I probably would have thought it was super-hot if I couldn't see Rosetta a few feet away, talking to Xander. Compared with her, they were only mildly hot.
"You know what I heard?" Brittany asked, leaning toward me again. "Cat pee glows when you shine a strobe light on it."
Okay. Not hot at all now.
"You mean a black light!" Tara yelled, "Black lights make cat pee glow, not strobe lights!"
Then they started arguing about it. About piss, for Christ's sake.

I couldn't help but laugh at this! I mean glowing cat pee? Yeah I know what you're thinking "Julia! Laughing about cat pee is so immature!" but I'm a teenager so what can I say? Haha.

Freefall was a thought-provoking novel. It made me think, and I love books that make me think! I give it 4 out of 5 cupcakes!






This was the first book I read as part of the Contemps Challenge! Yay! One down, only 17 more to go!

Julia :)

3 comments:

  1. Great review. I really enjoyed this book especially because I felt the romance between Seth and Rosetta was realistic.

    I did an interview with Mindi Scott and she is super nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! I like your review and it made me want to check the book out, so, good job. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I have this book on my shelf, waiting for me, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I keep wanting to pick it up, but now I'm definitely bumping it up. Maybe I'll read that next...

    Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...