Sunday, December 5, 2010

In My Mailbox [5]

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted over at the lovely blog The Story Siren. The point is to blog about books that you have somehow procured during the week!

I was given a bunch of books this week from a friend of mine, the wonderful Miss Erin. She has a lovely blog and you should totally check it out! Anyway this is what she gifted me:


  • The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor                               
  • Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev                                            
  • Fallen by Lauren Kate                                                               
  • The Name of This Book is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch    
  • Runaway by Meg Cabot                                                            
  • The Shadow Thieves by Anne Ursu                                         
  • Scarlett Fever by Maureen Johnson                                          

Thanks so much for all of these Erin!

The Looking Glass Wars
I've been pretty interested in The Looking Glass Wars for awhile now.  I've heard great things about it. Hopefully I'll be able to read it soon now that I have a copy.

Eyes Like Stars
I've never heard of this one before. It looks and sounds pretty interesting. The covers pretty isn't it?

Fallen
I know that people love this book. But I've heard it compared to Twilight a lot and the premise just doesn't sound all that interesting to me. So I'll definitely be giving this one away. Probably as part of the Follower Love Giveaway Hop in February.

The Name of This Book is Secret
I LOVE this series! It reminds me a lot of The Series of Unfortunate Events. But in a good way! So I'm super psyched to get a copy of this. And not only is it hardcover (I love hardcovers!) but inside there is:


GAHHH!!! A signed book plate! Super awesomeness!!!! I think this is my first signed book. It was such a lovely surprise!

Runaway
I've already read the whole Airhead trilogy so I'll probably end up using this in a giveaway. What do you guys think? :)

The Shadow Thieves
I've never heard of or seen this book before! It actually sound pretty interesting. A fun fantasy read! I don't know when I'll get around to reading it but it will happen! Eventually......

Scarlett Fever
I have yet to read something by Maureen Johnson but I've heard so many good things about her! This is the sequel to Suite Scarlett so I'll have to read that first before I can read this one. I know me and my craziness about reading things in order! Haha. I remember seeing Suite Scarlett at the Library and every time I saw it I would think of Scarlett Johansson. I debated whether or not to check it out a ton of times by my annoyance towards Scarlett Johansson stopped me every time. I know kind of lame, one should never judge a book by its cover (yeah even the girl on the cover ever so slightly resembles Scarlett Johansson) but I did just that. And I do that a lot. So yeah I'll probably be picking that up sometime soon. When my book pile isn't like 20 books deep......

I also checked out one book from the Library. Thats right ONLY ONE!!!! And its not even a YA book. Its a picture book. About dinosaurs. Hehe.


Those dinos are just too stinkin cute to resist! Its only a picture book but I have to admit that I've had it for almost a week now and I still haven't read it. Yeah that just goes to show how busy I've been lately. I can't even find time to read a picture book. Shame on me! I think I'll read it after I finish writing this.

I also bought two books this week. I've already read them so I'm not adding them to my every growing to read pile! Thank goodness. I bought them both from my Libraries booksale for $1. Yep, only a dollar! For both of them! I guess every Tuesday its buy one get one free day and they just happened to have two books (Hardcover copies!!!!) that I really like! Ironically enough they are both about Asians. Haha. Here they are:

  • Millicent Min, Girl Genius by Lisa Yee
  • Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata             
Millicent Min, Girl Genius
I just LOVE Millicent Min, Girl Genius! Its too funny. So many Asian things I can relate to. I've found that I really enjoy books by Asian authors. Whenever I see a YA book by an Asian author I always HAVE to read it. Like Justina Chen Headley? Love her!

Kira-Kira
I don't think I ever actually read Kira-Kira but I know I heard an audiobook of it and LOVED it. Definitely excited to own a copy!

This last thing isn't a book but I still wanted to include it in this post because its book related. I bought a Mockingjay pin!!!! Not the one from Hot Topic (though I did consider it) but a super awesome one from an etsy seller. So even though its not "official" Hunger Games merchandise its way better quality and way prettier than the "real" mockingjay pin. At least in my opinion. Plus its one of a kind! Here's a picture:


Gorgeous isn't it? I can't stop fawning over it. Haha. And it was even cheaper than the one at Hot Topic! Unfortunately the Etsy seller isn't planning on making anymore of these. But she still has one necklace and one pin available! So if you want to check those out you can here. And maybe if enough people beg her to make more she will!

Wow sorry this post ended up so long! I hope it wasn't too much of my crazy rambling. So thats what I got "In My Mailbox" this week. What did you get?

Julia :)

10 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read The Name Of This Book Is Secret and Fallen. Both sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got a fantastic load this week :) I would pretty much kill for "The Name Of This Book Is Secret" - er, not that you should be concerned or anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made out very well this week! I'm reading only eBooks right now. Happy Reading!

    Check out my IMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a gorgeous pin! Even if it isn't the official kind, I could still tell what it was supposed to be. :3 Wear it everywhere! Make Katniss proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Julia!!!!
    Just wanted to let you know your Twitter link has an extra 'm' at the end so it says "this twitter does not exist." =D Loving the blog friend!! I like how you make your reviews personal too--it adds a nice touch and makes me think, "Wow! I should read that book!" =P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! You've received the Versatile Award! (If you have already received this, feel free to ignore it! I know this award has been around the blogging world for a long time!)

    Please check out my post (http://brookesboxofbooks.blogspot.com/2010/12/versatile-blogger-award-take-two.html) to read a few things about me and to see your name in lights! (Well, figuratively, at least!)

    Congrats from Brooke at Brooke's Box of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a ton of awesome books this week! Looks like a fun haul. I keep hearing about "The Name of This Book is Secret" .. it sound like a great read. I hope you enjoy them all (at least the ones you have not already read yet)! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with all of those books. I'd like to Read Eyes like stars soon. It looks good.

    Please do stop by and check out my new accomplice. I think we can keep him in check *grin*

    Mad Scientist
    http://madsteampunkery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the hunger games pin! and i'm so glad you're happy about some of the books :) also love millicent min.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...