Friday, December 10, 2010

Book Review: Losing Faith



When Brie’s sister, Faith, dies suddenly, Brie’s world falls apart. As she goes through the bizarre and devastating process of mourning the sister she never understood and barely even liked, everything in her life seems to spiral further and further off course. Her parents are a mess, her friends don’t know how to treat her, and her perfect boyfriend suddenly seems anything but. As Brie settles into her new normal, she encounters more questions than closure: Certain facts about the way Faith died just don’t line up. Brie soon uncovers a dark and twisted secret about Faith’s final night….a secret that puts her own life in danger.


Books with a little mystery are always intriguing to me. And Losing Faith was no exception. I devoured this book!

I have an older sister just like Brie, so I could definitely relate to a lot of what she was going through and her thought processes. Fortunately my sister hasn’t died but just thinking that my sister could die mysteriously was scary. I mean, if my sister died would I be able to distinguish whether or not it was a suicide? Could I be 100% certain? Or would I have unanswered questions just like Brie? This book made me look at the relationship I have with my sister in a whole new light. Which is pretty cool! I’ve never had a book do that to me before.

There were definitely some scary and surprisingly dark elements to the plot that I didn’t expect. Seriously some of the stuff in this book FREAKED ME OUT. I don’t want to spoil the ending for you guys so I won’t say anything else but if you read this book be prepared for some creepy stuff!

I have to highlight my favorite character in this book just because I loved her so much. Tessa. She was such a surprising character and to top it off she had the most hilarious dry sense of humor! I loved it! Not to mention the fact that her spying materials were Winnie the Pooh walkie talkies. No joke. If that’s not hilariously amazing I don’t know what is.

Oh and I have to mention another thing I found kind of funny. There was a homeschooled guy in this book and he was actually supposed to be cute. Shocking. Being homeschooled, I’ve met a lot of other homeschooled people and let me tell you cute homeschooled guys are so rare that they’re practically non-existent. It was just weird to me reading a book with a “cute” homeschooled guy. There’s certainly nothing wrong with the book because of it! I just thought it was humorous that the author would choose to have a homeschooled guy be the love interest.

Overall Losing Faith was a great book! It has both humor and mystery and the characters were developed really nicely. I give it 4 and half ice cream cones out of 5!






Julia :)

5 comments:

  1. This book sounds like a good mix between funny and freaky! I'm interested in reading it now.
    Oh, and I love your little ice cream cone rating system! Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was worried this book would be a little too morbid but if there's some humour mixed in with darker elements, I may have to move this up in my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is absolutely on my TBR list! I need to get this book! Interesting review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a really cool book! Thanks for your review, really enjoyed reading it :D

    Brush Up On Your Reading

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...