Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Book Review: Hunger

It's been three months since everyone under the age of fifteen became trapped in the bubble known as the FAYZ. Three months since all the adults disappeared. Gone. Food ran out weeks ago. Everone is starving, but no one wants to figure out a solution. And each day, more and more kids are evolving, developing supernatural abilities that set them apart from the kids without powers. Tension rises and chaos is descending upon the town. It's the normal kids against the mutants. Each kids is out for himself, and even the good ones turn murderous. But a larger problem looms. The Darkness, a sinister creature that has lived buried deep in the hills, begins calling to some of the teens in the FAYZ. Calling to the, guiding them, manipulating them. The Darkness has awakened. And its hungry......


Wow. That's all I can say about this book. It was absolutely phenomenal. While I really enjoyed Gone I did think that the story lagged in some parts. The plotting got a little slow. Not so with Hunger. This book gripped me from start to finish. 

The whole story felt a lot darker than Gone. The characters were twice as desperate and twice as much blood was spilled before the final page. And that thing called the Darkness? Talk about freaky! I feel like I'm gonna start having nightmares about it now! And don't even get me started on the Zekes....

Michael Grant definitely succeeded in adding more depth to his characters. I really began to understand their struggles and see some of their stories in a new light. Its always nice to see character development in sequels!

The only thing that I did not like about the book was all of the killing. There was so much outright brutality it was sickening. I really dislike the character of Drake. He actually gets some sort of enjoyment out of hurting others and seeing their pain. That really disturbs me. The good thing is that Michael Grant makes it very clear who the bad guys are and who the good guys are. The good characters definitely have a sense of moral values. And that kind of offsets the fact that some of the bad characters are just plain evil.

Despite the extremely bloodthirsty nature of some of the characters I will still give this book 5 out of 5 cupcakes. 


The story was exciting, the plotting was impeccable, and the characters developed nicely. Hopefully the third book in the series (Lies) will be just as enjoyable.

Oh and now is the perfect time to let you all know about a new thing I am doing on my blog! I will have a poll every week (over on the left beneath what I'm currently reading) that will allow you guys to vote on the book that you think I should read and review next! I have a ginormous book pile right now so I am only going to put up 4 titles for the vote. I will have lots of different genres to choose from so you guys get some variety. The 4 books up for vote are:

  • Birthmarked by Caragh O'Brien
  • I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore
  • Lies by Michael Grant
  • Impossible by Nancy Werlin

    So which should I read and review next?

    Oh and on a random side note its my 18th birthday today! I don't really plan on doing anything special. Just hanging out with the family. I feel so old.... Haha. But anyway there is some awesome news for you guys! I'm going to be apart of the Gratitude Giveaways that are from November 17-27. I've got some awesome prizes so be sure to be on the look out for that when November 17th roles around!

    Julia :)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...