Sunday, November 28, 2010

In My Mailbox [4]

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted over at the lovely blog The Story Siren. The point is to blog about books that you have somehow procured during the week!

So I know I've been trying to cut back on the amount of books I get from the Library and all that. And I even managed to go for a whole week without getting anything new!!! I know, amazing restraint. Haha. But this week I did get some stuff. Not from the Library, but from NetGalley! At first I wasn't going to do NetGalley just because I'm not the biggest fan of reading off a computer screen. But then I saw that one of the books available was Delirium. And so I caved. Anyway these are the books I got from NetGalley this week:


  • Delirium by Lauren Oliver                                  
  • Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky                                
  • The Betrayal of Maggie Blair by Elizabeth Laird

Delirium
OH MY GOSH I AM SO EXCITED TO GET THIS!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously I do not care if I have to read it off of a computer monitor. I've been dying to read this ever since I heard about it. Lauren Oliver plus dystopia??? AWESOMENESS! So this is a dystopian novel about a world where love is forbidden. Scientists found a cure for it and everybody has to take the cure once they reach the age of eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to her 18th birthday. After all isn't a life without love also a life without pain? But then 95 days before she is supposed to be cured Lena does the unthinkable. She falls in love. Oohhh. Now I realize this is all about love so it might not be my cup of tea. But its a dystopian and its by Lauren Oliver. So I think I'll still enjoy it.

Awaken
I'm pretty excited to get this one too! Its another dystopian novel, only this time its about a world where everything is done on the computer. People don't even venture out of their homes anymore. School, dating, its all done online. For Maddie, a solitary digital life seems okay. Until she meets Justin. Justin like people. He likes being with people. And he shows Maddie that there is more to life then living in front of a screen. Suddenly Maddie wants more from her life. But with society and her parents telling her otherwise, Maddie is going to have to learn to stand up for herself if she wants to change the path her life is taking. 

The Betrayal of Maggie Blair
This one looks interesting. I really like historical fiction and this one definitely sounds intriguing. In seventeenth-century Scotland, saying the wrong thing can lead to banishment—or worse. Accused of being a witch, sixteen-year-old Maggie Blair is sentenced to be hanged. She escapes, but instead of finding shelter with her principled, patriotic uncle, she brings disaster to his door. Betrayed by one of her own accusers, Maggie must try to save her uncle and his family from the king’s men, even if she has to risk her own life in the process.

So that's what I got "In My Mailbox" this week! What did you get?

Julia :)

1 comment:

  1. that last one sounds really interesting I will be looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...