Sunday, November 7, 2010

In My Mailbox [2]

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted over at the lovely blog The Story Siren. The point is to blog about books that you have somehow procured during the week!

So I keep telling myself that I need to stop checking out more books from the Library because my reading pile just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Its more of a mountain at this point in time.... But when  Ginger over at GReads! posted about the Contemps Challenge I just couldn't turn it down! I love challenges and I love reading contemporary YA fiction so yeah. I got sucked in. (want to get sucked in too? Go here to join up!) Being apart of this challenge has in turn made me check out even more books from the Library. But I will vanquish the giant mountain of books even if it takes me all month! Anyway heres what I got "In My Mailbox" this week!

  • The Scorch Trials by James Dashner
  • Girl, Stolen by April Henry               
  • Freefall by Mindi Scott                     
The Scorch Trials
I can not even express the amazing joy I had when I saw that I had gotten this in at the Library!!! I practically starting squealing at the Library! Unfortunately the new security guard isn't too fond of people making such unnecessary noises so I refrained myself. Anyway as you probably know this is the sequel to James Dashner's very good book The Maze Runner. You can read my review of it here if you would like. Anyway the Scorch Trials picks up where the Maze Runner left off. No longer do the Gladers have to solve a maze. Now they must survive another trial, a dangerous journey across the desert wasteland known as the Scorch. They have 2 weeks to make it to a safe haven. But WICKED has stacked the odds against them. Will the Gladers ever truly be free? All I can say is that I am stoked to read this! And being from Arizona I can definitely relate to the whole desert wasteland bit. Hehe.

Girl, Stolen
This is one of the first books I am reading as part of the Contemps Challenge. I've read a few reviews of it and it sounds pretty good. Its the story of a 16 year old blind girl named Cheyenne. One moment Cheyenne is sleeping in the back of the car, while her mom fills a prescription, and the next the car is being stolen. And just like that Cheyenne becomes a victim of a kidnapping. I'm really curious to see how the narration goes because its from the perspective of a blind person. Definitely unique. I'm excited to read this!

Freefall
This is another book that I'm reading for the Contemps Challenge. The first thing I thought when I got this book from the Library was "this book is really unusual size." Which it is. It seems shorter than most books. And kind of fatter too.... Almost like a square but not. Anyway this is the story of Seth McCoy, the last person to see his best  alive, and the first person to find him dead. Grim much? Oh but it gets better! Seth blames himself for his friend Isaac's death. Can he turn his life around or will he lose himself completely? Then he meets Rosetta: a person so different from everyone and everything Seth has ever known. But Rosetta has secrets of her own, and Seth soon realizes that he isn't the only one who needs saving..... The plot thickens! At first I didn't really know what this book was about I just picked it because it was on the Contemps Challenge list and the cover looked cool. But now I am totally psyched to read it!

So thats what was "In My Mailbox" this week. What did you get?

Julia :)

5 comments:

  1. Awesome books this week! I'm stoked to read The Scorch Trials because James Dashner is genius, and The Maze Runner was incredible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely know what you mean about Freefall being an odd shape, it sticks out on my bookshelf lol. I completely adored that book so I hope you do too! Great books this week Girl Stolen looks great! Happy Reading:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by! Great to know you enjoyed the Maze Runner, I am partway through it and it is pretty creepy so far (reminding me of Lord of the Flies in a way...) Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome books. I am starting Freefall next and it is a weird shape. Similar to Jennifer Echols books.

    Check out my IMM at http://irresistiblereads.blogspot.com/2010/11/in-my-mail-box-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I'd get some books in my mailbox! Mine has been oddly empty of books this week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...