Saturday, November 20, 2010

Suggestion Saturday: Dramarama


For this weeks Suggestion Saturday I have decided to review Dramarama by E. Lockhart


Two theater-mad, self-invented, fabulositon Ohio teenagers.
One boy, one girl.
One gay, one straight.
One black, one white.
And SUMMER DRAMA CAMP.
It's a season of
hormones,
gold lamé,
hissy fits,
jazz hands,
song and dance,
true love,
and unitards
that will determine their future - and test their friendship.

  
Oh how I love this book. It speaks to that "wish I was fabulous and famous" side of me. Pretty much this book mixes a ton of my favorite things into a beautiful mish mash of amazingness. For starters its all about musical theatre. I happen to LOVE musical theatre. Everything about it. The singing, the acting, the dancing (okay maybe not so much the dancing.....). I just think its just really, really fun. 
E. Lockhart perfectly captures every aspect of the performing arts in this book. The nerve of auditions, the jealousy, the excitement of the stage, and the drama, drama, drama. Normally I'm not one for books with a lot teenage drama but Dramarama is the one exception. Why? Well because its drama ABOUT drama. That I can handle. 

I can't really say much more about this book except that it is fabulous. If you love musical theatre, or really any aspect of performing or the performing arts then you will enjoy this book. Its also a great introduction to the world of theatre, and some great Broadway shows and songs. Oh and for the record I LOVE the fact that there is a hot Asian character named Theo who plays the piano AND performs. Major dreamboat right there. Can I just say that there is a sad lack of cute Asian dudes in YA literature??? 


Dramarama gets 5 out of 5 cupcakes! 







So do I have any fellow musical theatre lovers reading this blog? My favorite Broadway show is Wicked! Whats yours?

Julia :)

2 comments:

  1. Have you read North of Beautiful? Not only is it an AMAZING book, but there is a totally cute Asian dude in it. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...