Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Book Review: The Scorch Trials


Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to. In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety... until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago. Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated - and with it, order - and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim... and meal. The Gladers are far from done running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most  burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them. Thomas can only wonder - does he hold the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED?


This book was INSANE. Seriously, I thought the Maze Runner was full of some crazy stuff, but this? Just wow. I'm still trying to process it all. This whole book threw me for a loop. I mean I only had a vague idea as to where I thought the story might go but there were definitely some things that happened that I NEVER expected! The Maze Runner was great, but I can honestly say that The Scorch Trials was even better.

One crazy aspect was the Cranks! They almost seemed like zombies to me, the way they were kind of decomposing from the Flare, and going crazy and killing people. But, unlike zombies, they were actually fast, strong, and somewhat smart. Talk about freaky!!! The whole concept of a natural disaster creating this Flare disease was rather fascinating to me. And a little bit scary! Just the idea that that is a possibility in real life freaks me out. Okay so maybe its not REALLY a possibility.... But you never know!

There was a considerable amount of character development in The Scorch Trials which was great. We get to know more a lot more about Thomas and Teresa's past which was cool. And Minho really became this awesome kick ass leader! Asians for the win! Haha. All I can say is I LOVED Minho. In addition to all the old characters from The Maze Runner, there were also some new ones who added a lot of different aspects to the story. I won't spoil anything, but lets just say that there were a lot more girls in The Scorch Trials then there were in The Maze Runner!

The only bad thing about this book? The cliffhanger ending!!! GAHHH!!! Seriously I am DYING for the next book! Who does James Dashner think he is torturing me like this??? I guess I will have to simply pacify myself with the new books title. Its coming out October 2011 (less than a year! So close, but yet so far.) and its called The Death Cure. If you read The Scorch Trials you'll understand why!

The Scorch Trials gets 5 out of 5 cupcakes!






Awesome book. Awesome series. Loved it. You will too. I promise.

Julia :)

3 comments:

  1. I love Minho too. Great review. This is on my shelf waiting to be read but I am scared of the cliffhanger ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so scared of the Cranks. Seriously, that scene where they're crawling into the hole in the wall to hide? Freakiest thing EVER. I couldn't read it in the dark. The whole book was just a totally wild ride. I'm sad we have to wait an ENTIRE YEAR for THe Death Cure. I want to see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm a korean, but is minho too? i was shocked when that name popped out cause a korean almost never comes out in an american book. it's always chinese or japanese. since there's no name minho in either countries, i suppose my guess is right. i reallllllyyyy wish he was!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...